Welcome to Southern! We are excited that you are considering Southern Illinois University as the next stage of your professional growth. We have a program to be proud of at SIU. We make the development of our staff a priority. We’re committed to investing in our staff and in making quality improvements to our programs. By accomplishing these goals, we can better serve our students.
University Housing exists to provide a high-quality, affordable living/learning environment that contributes to personal development and academic success.
University Housing consists of four units: Facilities, Operations, Culinary and Nutrition Services and Residence Life. Our Residence Life unit is responsible for our students living on campus. On-campus living at SIU consists of two residential areas, East and West Campus.
Our campus is located in beautiful southern Illinois - it offers a variety of architectural styles.
Southern Illinois offers a wide variety of opportunities to become involved and stay busy within the community. Some highlights include:
- Parks and Recreation - Southern Illinois offers many outdoor recreational opportunities including Giant City State Park and Shawnee National Forest. Outdoor enthusiasts can bike, hike, fish, enjoy horseback riding, go rappelling, explore caves and more.
- Dining - Carbondale is home to many locally owned restaurants known for a wide variety of dining options.
- Shopping - Many unique shops line the streets of Carbondale. Other shopping opportunities (such as University Mall) are also available.
- Arts - Each summer SIU Carbondale is host to the Southern Illinois Music Festival, which runs for several weeks. Live music can be found nearly every weekend and different theatrical productions and galleries can be experienced.
- Historical Sites - Carbondale has several historical sites and artifacts, some of which date back to the 1740s. History is rich here.
- Wine Trails - Within Carbondale and the surrounding region, there are many vineyards to relax and spend a sunny afternoon.