Winter Break Closing Information for Residence Halls
December 16, 2017 – January 13, 2018
THE RESIDENCE HALLS CLOSE AT 2 P.M. ON SATURDAY, DEC.16. Additional closing dates and times are listed below.
Friday, Dec. 15
- COMPUTER LABS: Grinnell and Lentz Computer Labs close at 5 p.m.
- MAIL ROOMS: Grinnell, Lentz, Trueblood and University Hall mail rooms close at 6 p.m.
- DINING HALLS: Lentz and Trueblood will close at 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 16
- AREA OFFICES: Area Offices will be open from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- COMMENCEMENT: Fall Commencement Ceremony is held at 2:00 p.m. at the SIU Arena
- RESIDENCE HALLS: Residence Halls close at 2 p.m.
TAKE ALL ITEMS YOU WILL NEED OVER BREAK. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ENTER THE BUILDING FROM 7 p.m., DEC.16 THROUGH 9 a.m., JAN.13 UNLESS YOU SIGN UP FOR BREAK HOUSING (SEE "BREAK HOUSING" BELOW).
BUILDING STAFF WILL BE ENTERING YOUR ROOM TO VERIFY THE FOLLOWING:
- Refrigerators are cleaned, defrosted, unplugged - with the refrigerator door left open.
- All electrical items, except for fish tanks, are unplugged. Fish tanks may be left plugged into a surge protector. (If your fish tank is plugged into a surge protector, it is your responsibility to unplug ALL items not associated with the fish tank. We do recommend that you take your fish home over this extended break.)
- Convector fan control is set to LOW.
- All items are moved at least three feet away from the convector and all valuables are off the floor (CDs, DVDs, plants, electronics, etc.). (University Housing assumes NO liability for damages to items resulting from heat, water leaks, or electrical problems. Valuables should be removed from the room.)
- All water is turned off (including shower) and toilet is flushed, but not running.
- All trash/waste has been emptied and removed from room.
- Windows and curtains are closed and lights are off.
- Room and bathroom doors are locked.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR RETURNING RESIDENTS
- Any visible illegal substances, materials or prohibited items that are a violation of the Resident Handbook will be confiscated. Disciplinary action will also be taken.
- Maintenance personnel may enter rooms for scheduled repairs. (Please make sure doorways are not blocked.)
- If you have newspaper subscriptions and want them held for you over break, you must sign up between Monday, Dec. 11, and Friday, Dec. 15, at the mail room in your area.
- All bicycles should be stored in a bike rack outside of the residence halls or within the resident room. Bicycles stored in unapproved locations may be subject to removal by the Department of Public Safety.
- Residents in a designated double room with no roommate may be assigned a roommate. Therefore, residents with no roommate must place their belongings on one side of the room so a new resident can move in for the Spring semester. (Failure to prepare the room properly could result in conduct proceedings or a single room charge being assessed to your account. University Housing does not hold spaces during breaks for anticipated moves.)
Neely Hall and University Hall residents are eligible for Break Housing in Neely, provided they sign up between 8 a.m. Monday, Dec. 4, through 3:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 15.
- Neely Hall residents may remain in their rooms during scheduled University breaks.
- University Hall residents may stay in break housing in Neely Hall during scheduled University breaks, pending space availability.
NOTE: Provided space is available, students living in residence halls other than Neely and University Hall who are in need of Break Housing may space change to Neely Hall prior to break and remain in Neely for the remainder of the academic year. Direct questions to the Residence Life Office at 618/453-3318.
The cost of Break Housing is $27 per night and will be charged to student's Bursar Account. Break housing is charged for the entire break, there is no discount for early departure or for partial stays.
All students planning on staying during breaks should make Break Housing arrangements with the Residence Life Office, located in Trueblood Hall. Direct questions to the Residence Life Office at 618/453-3318. The dining halls are not open during these breaks. If you are a resident of these halls and plan to return early from break, you will not be permitted access to Break Housing unless you sign up during the dates listed above.
While regular policies and procedures apply during Break Housing, additional guidelines and information is listed below.
- NO MEALS are served during breaks.
- NO GUESTS are allowed during breaks. Students registered for break housing may visit other registered break housing residents.
- Residents staying during break must carry their student ID, FOB, and key at all times.
- Residents of Wall & Grand Apartments may stay in their apartments and are not subject to the fee associated with break housing in the residence halls.
THE RESIDENCE HALLS OPEN AT 9 A.M. ON SATURDAY, JAN. 13.
- RESIDENCE HALLS: The residence halls open at 9 a.m.
- DINING HALLS: Lentz and Trueblood are open 11 a.m. -.7 p.m .
Sunday, Jan. 14
- DINING HALL: Lentz and Trueblood Dining Hall will be open from 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Monday, Jan. 15
- HOLIDAY: Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
- DINING HALL: Lentz and Trueblood Dining Hall will be open from 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Tuesday, January 16
- CLASSES: Classes begin today
- COMPUTER LAB: Lentz Computer Lab will open at 8 a.m.
- COMPUTER LAB: Grinnell Computer Lab will open at 11 a.m.
- DINING HALLS: Trueblood and Lentz resume regular business hours at 7 a.m.
- AREA OFFICES: Area Offices resume regular business hours at 8 a.m.
- MAIL ROOMS: Grinnell, Lentz, Trueblood and University Hall mail rooms resume regular business hours at 12 noon
LATE RETURNING STUDENTS
If you are registered for Spring courses but will not be returning to campus until after Tuesday, Jan. 16, please contact the Area Office at the phone number below to inform them of your late arrival.
AREA OFFICE HOURS
|Saturday, Dec. 16||1 p.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Monday, Dec. 18- Sunday, Dec. 24||8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on weekdays|
|Monday, Dec. 25 - Monday, Jan. 1||University Closed|
|Tuesday, Jan. 2||(Regular Office Hours Resume) 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
- East Campus: 618/453-3318
- West Campus: 618/453-2471
- Wall & Grand: 618/536-2008
24-Hour Desk Operations
- Neely: 618/536-6488
- University Hall: 618/536-0303
IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING NOT RETURNING FOR THE SPRING SEMESTER, IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU CONTACT THE CONTRACTS OFFICE AT 618/453-2301 BEFORE YOU CHECK OUT TO DISCUSS CONTRACT CANCELLATION CHARGES .
Check-out procedures are listed below.
- Make an appointment to check out with your RA. During this check-out appointment, you will return your room key and fob, sign forms, and submit a forwarding address.
- Remove all possessions from your room and complete the following BEFORE your check out appointment. Empty desk and dressers; empty waste cans; clear and dust shelves and closets; sweep and mop floor; clean bathroom, toilet and shower (ensure they are free of mold and mildew); empty and clean medicine cabinet; remove all personal belongings and decorations from your side of the room; return bed-lofting materials to the custodial/maintenance office (if applicable - if bed was lofted by our staff for you upon move-in, leave lofting equipment in the room); check your mailbox for mail and return key.
- At the time of your check-out appointment, inform your RA you are ready to check out. At this time, the RA will: inventory and inspect your room, sign and complete your Check-Out Form and Room Inventory form, note any damages (if applicable) on both forms and report damages online. (Damages may be assessed for missing or damaged items discovered during and after you have checked out. Charges will be billed to your Bursar account. Damages assessed during the Fall semester to buildings and common areas will be charged to Bursar accounts in January.)
- Turn your room key and fob in to your RA. If you lost your key or fob and are checking out of the residence hall, your RA will note this on the Check-Out Form and charges will be assessed to your Bursar bill. Replacement Key Charges: room key - $75, fob - $15 (charges will be billed to your Bursar account).
- Forward mail. To ensure proper forwarding of mail, fill out forwarding address information on the Check-Out Form. Please write legibly as we are unable to forward mail if we cannot read the forwarding address.
Failure to properly complete this process may result in a $50 improper check-out fee plus any additional cancellation fees as outlined in the Contract Terms charged to your Bursar account.